Tuesday, October 14, 2008

library book baskets

The Central Branch of the Vancouver Public Library, located downtown at the corner of Georgia and Homer, is absolutely stunning. With the government office tower mirroring the arc of the coliseum-like edifice (it's the office tower that completes the building, in my opinion), you can't help but feel the centrifugal forces that make you want to sprint around the building, running your hands along the curved spine.

But it was not Moshe Safdie's building that impressed me the most upon my visit to the public library, but rather the simple black book baskets that welcomed me at the door. They just scream with subliminal suggestion: "you're gonna read SOOOO much that you'll need me to hold all of those books!"

CONSUMED: Vancouver Public Library, Central Branch; 350 West Georgia Street, Vancouver

1 comment: