Friday, October 10, 2008

absentee ballot

Monday October 6th: [12-noon] I call Elections Canada and discover that my original mailed ballot got lost due to an understandable misinterpretation of a handwritten "S" as an "5". Hesitantly, I ask if another ballot could be mailed (well aware that the election was happening in 8 days). I am told that yes, one will be sent out that day. [5pm] I receive an email: "TNT is pleased to advise you that ELECTIONS CANADA has arranged for a shipment to be collected from them on 06-Oct-2008, and delivered to you in BROOKLYN." I am slightly upset that taxpayers money is going to paying for courier services for absentee ballots, but mostly excited that I still might be able to vote.

Tuesday October 7th: [4pm] I go online to check out the voting history of my riding. Despite the fact that the Liberal party has held our riding for the past 4 elections, I was shocked to learn that they won the 2004 election only by 744 votes! All of a sudden, I realise that my riding is one of those contentious electoral districts! My vote CAN count if I want it to. [11pm] I arrive home only to find a "delivery exception notice" on my door. I frantically call the courier company and get them to promise to attempt a delivery at my work, as a redelivery attempt to my apartment would be futile.

Thursday October 9th: My ballot arrives! I quickly fill it out (voting "strategically" rather than honestly) and go straight to a courier company here in New York. I pay $40 to ensure that my vote makes it to Ottawa on time.

CONSUMED: at work; New York, NY

No comments:

Post a Comment